Traveling With Minimal Stress | Ariel and Alder

Traveling With Minimal Stress

I love traveling, truly I do. I've been hopping on planes like cars since before I could walk. The stress of traveling so often overwhelms me, and i'm caught off my game. I like to consider myself a neat and tidy person, someone who likes to be prepared. But traveling is the least predictable situation one can be thrown in, there are an array of things that can happen to a traveler that dump stress and disorder on to an otherwise ordinary experience.

With spring break just next week I'm once again thrown into traveling preparation. And although this trip is a vacation not a working trip (hooray!) I find myself faced with a challenge. I have a huge event the two days before I leave, so I have to be extra ahead of the curve. With this in mind here are some ways I keep it together when I'm about to be on the road. 


1. Plan ahead and take action before stress arrives. This one is the hardest to live by for me. Weeks before my trip I say to myself "I'm going to get started way early and be super prepared this time" only to find myself the night before scrambling to pick out the right shoes to bring. Do as I say not as I do on this one, because I need to work on it too. Make a plan and set aside time to pack, before you get stressed out. 

2. Scope out your destination. There's nothing worse than getting to notoriously sunny Hawaii to find out it's raining and you didn't pack a raincoat. Check out the weather ahead of time and figure out what events and activities your going to be going to at your destination, so you can dress (and pack) accordingly.

3. Create a packing list. Can be as simple as a post it note, or as detailed as typing one up and printing it out. Anything that will give you an idea of exactly how much your bringing, this always helps me cut down if I'm over packing. Double check you have everything, and your good to go! 

4. Make snacks and meals a priority. A hungry traveler is no fun to be around. Make sure you do what you need to do to keep yourself fueled. A pit stop to Starbucks, a granola bar in your carry on, whatever it takes to keep you from scarfing bags of peanuts and pretzels on the plane. 

5. Use air time to be productive. If your traveling by car, good luck! the only thing i can do successfully on a road trip is listen to music and patiently wait for my carsickness to subside. During a plane ride i figure; i'm stuck there anyway, might as well get to work. If you've got a stray paper to write or something to work on, make your airtime useful and use it wisely. My favorite plane ride activity: calender cleanup.

6. Arrive fresh and ready to take on the day ahead (or go to bed). Plane rides have a way of making you feel stale and dry. Keep what you need to feel fresh  ready to go for your arrival. I usually keep lip balm, Evian spray, a sample vial of my current perfume, and a change of clothes on me at all times when traveling. 

What are your spring break plans and how are you preparing?

xo
Natalie
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment