Meet Hannah Payne // 13 Reasons Why | Ariel and Alder

Meet Hannah Payne // 13 Reasons Why

Happy Friday Guys!

I am here with another post in my series, Adventure Is Out There. To familiarize yourself with the series and where it came from click here. Last months post was all about Justin Delgado, a graphic designer in Long Beach who worked as a Starbucks barista to get through college. 

Today we are talking about Hannah Payne! She is a human ray of sunshine (and a good friend!) but most importantly she plays Stephanie in the new Netflix show, 13 Reasons Why. In addition to acting she is a UCLA student, model, and part time lifestyle blogger. I thought with the show coming out today she would make a great career guru for AOIT in March :)

Hannah and I met in New York at a summer conference for digital influence, and we became fast friends. We somehow have always stayed friends and always find a way to hang out no matter how short or inconvenient when we are in the same state. We once got coffee during a layover in an airport for just an hour. 

When Hannah told be she would be in a Netflix show, I was bewildered. Not because I was surprised (she was on Larry King and in The New York Times just this year) but because of how real it felt! As bloggers we often find ourselves dancing in verbal circles to validate and clarify our work, a TV show felt so concrete and the true fruit of a long sought labor. I couldn't be more proud of her, and I thought she was the perfect person to give some acting insight. 

Say hello to Hannah!

Your Name Is: Hannah Payne
You Live In: LA
Your Instagram Theme/Aesthetic In 3 Words: bright, colorful, cheerful
Favorite Disney Character: Mary Poppins (hence my blog's name, Practically Imperfect!)
Go-To Coffee Order: lately, a cold brew with almond milk and no sweetener
Your Theme Song Is: "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles

When did you start acting and what inspired you to pursue it in college?
I started acting when I was seven years old doing community theater. Balancing school and a career is something I've done for most of my life, and I didnt see why that had to change as I transitioned to UCLA.

What prompted you to audition for 13 Reasons Why?
Weeks before auditioning for Stephanie, I actually got called in to audition for a different character. Later when I got a second call from casting for 13 Reasons, this time for Stephanie, I was definitely excited!

Who is your character on the show and what can you tell us about her? Are you similar in any ways?
I play Stephanie, one of Courtney's best friends. Courtney is one of the reasons why and is a much more complicated version of your typical mean girl. Stephanie isn't the brightest person, which definitely adds a little lightness to a pretty heavy show.

What were your filming hours like and how did you manage it while still in school?
The bulk of my scenes are in episode five, which shot during the summer. Days were long, but I loved every second of it! I am my most joyful, fulfilled, and passionate when I'm working on set, and shooting 13 Reasons just affirmed that this is the direction I want my life to go.

What are you most excited for when the show comes out on Netflix?
This show isn't your typical teen series. It talks about heavy, yet incredibly relevant issues. I am so proud to be even a small part of a conversation that so desperately needs to be talked about.

You wear a lot of hats as a student, blogger, actor, and model! How do all those things fit together.
Honestly, by embracing that it's impossible to have a "perfect" balance. It can be crazy at times, but following these passions is the most beautiful kind of crazy!

While shooting, what was the hardest thing you encountered?
 Haha. Funny story. A few days before I booked 13RY, I happened to break my foot. Obviously I didn't wear the boot or crutches while filming, so between takes I was constantly icing and elevating my foot!

While shooting, what was the most rewarding thing that happened?
Getting called back to shoot another episode was definitely so gratifying and affirming.

After the show wrapped, what was the most rewarding thing that happened?

Meeting the author, Jay Asher, and getting to thank him for writing such a meaningful, important book.

For more of Hannah you can read her blog (Practically Imperfect) or follow her on Instagram. 
13 Reasons Why is now streaming on Netflix
xo, 
Natalie
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

2 comments:

  1. SO COOL!! Loved reading more about her, I am watching the show as I type this. Was one of my favorite books in middle school!

    www.mollyonthemoveblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly! I am a little biased but I LOVED the show ;)

      Delete