How To Deep Clean Your Closet | Ariel and Alder

How To Deep Clean Your Closet




This January I spent a full weekend overhauling my wardrobe, and I thank my lucky stars that I did because the past two months my closet has been as organized as ever! 


When I left for college, I had this immense fear that I might need something to wear only to remember that I left it at home which resulted in a closet space that was constantly full and a never ending cycle of laundry loads. Fast forward a year and here I am in my apartment, when it all comes into focus. I had stuff in my closet that was from the beginning of high school and hadn't been worn in well over three years. 

It was time for a fresh start, and this was how I did it. 

Step 1// Gather inspiration and come up with a plan

Before you even start, before check out Pinterest to pick up some organizational hacks and tips. My inspiration for this round of "closet clean out" was inspired by the recently popular Kon Mari method.

Step 2// Dump it all out

All of it! Shirts, shoes, socks, pants, skirts, jewelry, bags, swimsuits. Pull it all out and set it in a space where if you need to leave it alone for awhile you can. It is quite possible that this could turn into a weekend long project, and thats ok! Just make sure to give yourself ample time off from the pile and many a caffeine break : )


Step 3// Sort it by color

Sort it all out by color so that you can look at what colors you buy the most. This was really eye opening for me because while I've always thought that navy was the color I purchased the most, I had accumulated 30 (you read that right, thirty) pink shirts.


Step 4// Hold up each item and evaluate

This is where things get tricky and reality hits. It can be so hard to part with clothing, but you have to be harsh with yourself here. If you haven't worn it in a year and you wouldn't buy it again, chances are it will sit in your closet indefinitely.

Tip: Friends can be the best help during this step! Ask for assistance from a fresh set of eyes to help you comb through what you are and are not wearing.

Step 5// Set a budget for organizational tools

Decide what tools you need to maximize closet space and keep everything tidy and set a price limit. Before you hit the store, scan around your house and try to re-purpose things you already have. Then depending on your budget you can check out a variety of stores that carry what you need.


Thirty One Gifts was kind enough to send me these cah-ute monogrammed pink bins and I cant get over how cheerful they look in my closet! Besides the storage they provide (the backs have clear panels so you can see inside) I now find myself purposefully leaving my closet door open just to look at them from my desk. I have a feeling that through my college years they will work in any space and get used over and over again.

My favorite places to look:

The Dollar Tree (check for dollar hacks on Pinterest!)
Amazon (has the best acrylic stuff!)

Step 6// Take donations, consignments, and trash piles out

Consign it/ If its designer, unique, or in outstanding condition. Consigning is a great way to earn some extra cash, but don't expect immediate payment or high earnings. It can be heartbreaking to learn that by selling those True Religion Jeans you bought in high school you will only scratch the surface of what you paid for them. Ah, the unfortunate reality of retail.

I always keep in mind that selling 5-6 items usually allows me to buy just 1 new item, but if its an item that I end up using its totally worth it.

Donate it/ Donate items that are in decent condition. And while Goodwill is a great way to donate, check to see if there is a local cause to donate some clothes to. If you can get through this process and help someone else along the way, bonus points!

Trash it/ Trash items that are broken, super worn, and damaged.

Step 7// Sort remaining items by type and put them back into your closet

Step 8// Make a list of whats missing

If you notice that you are lacking something (some new jeans, a plain top, sweaters) jot it down so that the next time you are at the store, you remember what you really need.

Step 9// Reward yourself for a job well done

Have you ever tried the Kon Mari method? Is there another method or strategy that you use when cleaning out your closet space?

xo,
Natalie

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much! This post was so helpful and it totally inspired me to kick start my spring cleaning!

    xoxo
    Hannah
    Practically Imperfect

    ReplyDelete